Yesterday we organised a book launch event called ‘No Time for Children’ at the European Parliament. Some thoughts on the event:
- The landscape of childbearing is changing: postponement of parenthood and growth in unwanted childlessness.
- Research evidence shows that countries with liberal and inclusive family definition recognising all family forms have higher fertility rate.
- Well-being of children depends also on the recognition and value of the family forms they are coming from.
- Well-being of children and reconciliation of work and family life depend on the policy package available, leave system, job and care.
- Care is not a women’s issue only, but a collective responsibility of the entire society.
- Maternity leave is not a break! Women should be fully paid, and have easy access to return to the labour market, key to good pensions.